Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fortunately...

Had I been given the opportunity to consult in the grand scheme of my life events, I would most likely have not decided to take on a chronic disease such as type 2 diabetes mellitus as one of the enriching experiences through which I should go. However, since I have little say in such matters, I can only consider how fortunate I am that diabetes has befallen me--and at this point in my life.

I am fortunate that it was caught so soon--before devastating complications have apparently taken hold. I am fortunate that, apart from diabetes, I am otherwise healthy--I don't have other conditions complicating the original disease process. I am fortunate that obesity has not been a key struggle for me as it is so often with this disease (e.g. a grandparent)--my diet and exercise have me at the low end of a normal BMI. I am fortunate to have the training of my profession to give me a solid understanding of the disease and its treatment--as well as a healthy respect for its potential dangers. I am fortunate that my body has responded so well to a low carb diet, exercise, and metformin as readily as it has--hopefully this has preserved some beta cell function and stopped or reversed the otherwise inevitable progression so common with this disease. I am fortunate that I don't have to struggle with dawn phenomenon that many diabetics deal with. I am fortunate to have such a supportive, loving wife to make my dietary adjustments to planning so much simpler than it often can be. I am fortunate to have the resources to investigate the best treatment plan and then test the results as needed. I am fortunate that I've grown up with a healthy understanding of self-denial and the will to embrace it with regard to the dietary restrictions necessary to gain control of my blood sugars on this treatment regimen.

Having discovered this way of eating, I am fortunate to have such flexibility with eating--I don't have problems if I don't eat at certain times. I am fortunate to have a simple carbohydrate plan in the types and amounts. I am fortunate not to be riding the roller coaster of going high, dropping low, and experiencing all the yucky feeling that accompanies such swings. I am also fortunate that my body is producing enough insulin to cover the amount of carbs I eat--trying to be a pancreas with injected insulin is a mountainous challenge.

In summary, I am fortunate that I wasn't the one choosing which life experiences would be a part of my path, and that the One Who was responsible gave me my functioning pancreas as well as my diabetes out of a desire to make me a better person. I definitely can't take credit for being able to say (almost effortlessly it seems), "Vici diabeti."

No comments: