Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Road Less Traveled

I have been pondering lately the fact that I often take as my personal set of beliefs those that are considered a minority opinion. Take my diet approach to diabetes, for example. The ADA has only considered low-carb diets as a short-term answer to weight loss, but has also informed Dr Bernstein in a letter that his books have been banned. Even compliant diabetics, who often acknowledge the need to eat less carbs than the ADA typically recommends, will often view Dr. Bernstein's way of eating as extreme and dangerous.



These "minority" beliefs and opinions of mine extend into the theological realm as well. I believe in a God in control of everything as described in the Bible, including the origin of the universe as we know it. I believe that the universe is not in its original state and that the earth was also affected by a global flood catastrophe. I believe that we know God through an understanding of His Word, the Scripture alone, and not through human commentary or mystical feelings, chants, or experiences or in some vague belief in a greater being or beings "out there." I believe that the most accurate written revelation of God is found in the Received Text. I believe that God's love and Christ's death is for His children only, and that everything happens for His glory and their good. I believe in the permanency of marriage and therefore believe that remarriage while the other spouse is living is always a violation of God's law. I believe in the complete sufficiency of Christ to pay for my offenses against God and believe that Christ's kingdom in which He rules over His subjects is a spiritual kingdom, not earthly. I mention some of these specifics to create a background for some of the topics I will eventually discuss and to illustrate that I am in the minority opinion with these views even among much of Christendom.



As my worldview sprouts from the previous base of beliefs, I consequently find that many of my social opinions are also among the minority. For instance, I believe that labor unions are a rebellion against the authority that God places over us and refused to join one when I worked in a "union shop." Since I believe that God made and also sustains the entire universe, I believe that so-called "global warming" is nothing more than political hype designed to abscond wealth. I believe that able-bodied humans should work for a living or receive help from their family and/or church, not the government. I believe that since God is perfectly able to supply our "daily needs" as we ask them of Him, we are not "entitled" to be in perfect health, nor have other taxpayers pay for all our health care. If He grants the wherewithal to treat disease and illness it should be utilized responsibly as with all that He gives. I don't believe death is the end of all things and therefore if using His gifts responsibly results in death, the destination of those He loves is far better than preserving life at all costs in this imperfect world. I believe that children are a blessing given by God and not to be "budgeted" through contraception or abortion. I believe God has given adequate resources for the number of humans He has determined will live on the earth at any given time and therefore disagree with the "overpopulation" myth. I believe that the primary responsibility for the education of children rests with the parents, not the government. Though it is perfectly legitimate to delegate such educational tasks to others, the parents are still ultimately accountable and responsible for the content of the child's education and must answer to their (and their child's) Maker for those choices.



In contrast, the alternative majority opinion has the uninformed eating large amounts of "healthy" carbohydrate foods that still convert to glucose--and then struggling with large doses of more and more medications to gain some semblance of control. On other fronts, it has humans thinking that we merely came to be without purpose--no antidote for depression there. It has many devaluing children in all stages of development and worshipping the earth and its resources instead of the Maker. It offers no ultimate hope for deliverance from the imperfections of this world as evidenced by the continuous, unsuccessful attempts for cures and peace.



You can get an idea, now, why I introduced this blog site as being on the controversial side. It is from this bias that I will be commenting on the issues and posting under these assumptions. While many disagree with these beliefs that I hold to be true, I have personally found them a great source of comfort, hope, understanding, truth, wisdom, and in the case of the diabetes--superior and positive management. I have the confidence of friendship with my Maker and know that this life's events are designed for my benefit. I can echo Robert Frost. I traveled the road not taken, and that has made all the difference.

Vici Diabeti

No comments: